In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1presentel actual primer ministro — the incumbent prime minister formal
- el actual campeón — the current / present / reigning champion
- en las circunstancias actuales — in the present circumstances
- la acción transcurre en el Chile actual — the action takes place in present-day Chile
- en el mundo actual — in the modern world
- datos del actual ejercicio — data for the current / present financial year
- una moda actual para la mujer moderna — an up-to-the-minute fashion for the modern woman
- la legislación actual — the current / present legislation
- su carta del 20 del actual — your letter of the 20th of this month
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.