In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1something(en frases interrogativas, condicionales, etc) anything(esperando respuesta afirmativa) somethingalgo le debe haber molestado — something must have upset her
- si llegara a pasarle algo, no me lo perdonaría — if anything happened to her, I'd never forgive myself
- ¿quieres algo de beber? — do you want something / anything to drink?
- si no te creyó, por algo será — if he didn't believe you there must be some / a reason
- quiero que llegues a ser algo — I want you to be somebody
- le va a dar algo cuando lo vea — he'll have a fit (or go crazy etc.) when he sees it
- algo así — something like that
- algo es algo — it's better than nothing
- que esté arrepentido ya es algo — he's sorry, that's something at least
- algo de algo
- ¿queda algo de pan? — is there any bread left?
- hay algo de cierto en lo que dice — there's some truth in what he says
2(en aproximaciones)serán las once y algo — it must be some time after eleven
- pesa tres kilos y algo — it weighs just over three kilos
1a littleslightlyse siente algo cansada — she feels slightly / a little tired
- son algo parecidos — they're somewhat similar
- es algo más caro, pero es mejor — it's slightly / a little / a bit more expensive, but it is better
- ¿te duele? — algo — does it hurt? — a little / a bit
1.1(un no sé qué)un algo — something
- tiene un algo que me recuerda a su madre — she has something of her mother about her
1.2(un poco)hay un algo de verdad en lo que dice — there's a grain of truth / some truth in what she says
2Colombia(merienda)mid-afternoon snacktea British
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.