In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(campo, área de acción)fieldareasphereen tres ámbitos muy distintos — in three very different fields / areas / spheres
- en el ámbito de la investigación — in the field of research
- en el ámbito de la política — within the sphere of politics
- han reducido su ámbito de acción — they have reduced their sphere of activity
2(ambiente)el clima de violencia vivido en el ámbito de la familia — the climate of violence experienced within the family
- en el ámbito literario — in literary circles
3(alcance)scoperangefuera del ámbito de su competencia — beyond the scope / range of his authority
- el ámbito (de aplicación) de la ley — the scope of the law
- una empresa de ámbito nacional — a company with outlets (or offices etc.) throughout the country / nationwide
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.