In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(dar, adjudicar)(tarea/función/renta) to assign(valor) to ascribe(parcela/fondos) to allocatele asignaron el papel de mediador — he was assigned the role of mediator
- me asignaron la vacante — I was appointed to the post
- le asignaron una beca — he was awarded a grant
- dos hechos a los que se asigna especial importancia — two facts to which special importance is attached / ascribed
- le asignaron una parcela colindante con el río — he was allocated a plot adjacent to the river
2(destinar)(persona) to assignasignar a algn a algo — to assign sb to sth
- lo asignaron al departamento de compras — he was assigned to the purchasing department
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.