In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1atentar contra algo
- atentaron contra su vida — they tried to assassinate (or shoot etc.) her
- fumando de esa manera atentas contra la salud de tu hijo — you're putting your child's health at risk / in jeopardy by smoking like that
- una ley que atenta contra los derechos de los inmigrantes — a law which infringes the rights of immigrants
- actos que atentan contra la seguridad del Estado — actions which threaten national security
- tenían como objetivo atentar en la ciudad — their objective was to carry out a terrorist attack in the city
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.