In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(asistencia, auxilio)helple prestaron toda la ayuda necesaria — they gave him all the help he needed
- nadie fue / acudió en su ayuda — nobody went to help him / went to his aid
- no quiso pedir ayuda — she didn't want to ask for help
- ayudas para los proyectos de inversión — incentives for investment projects
- ofrecieron ayuda económica a los damnificados — they offered financial help / aid / assistance to the victims
- organizaciones de ayuda internacional — international aid agencies
- no tiene ninguna ayuda en casa — she has no help at home
- ha sido de gran ayuda — it has been a great help
- poca ayuda no es estorbo — every little helps
- con ayuda de un vecino mató mi padre un cochino — well, with a little help from my/your/his friends …
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.