In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(de pistola, rifle) bullet(de cañón) cannon balla prueba de balas — bulletproof
- una bala perdida lo alcanzó en el costado — a stray bullet hit him in the side
- como (una) bala — like a shot
- salió como (una) bala — he left like a shot
- la moto pasó como (una) bala — the motorbike shot past
- llegó como (una) bala cuando se enteró — he was there in a flash when he heard
- (disparar) echar bala — to fire shots
- (estar furioso) con lo del matrimonio de su hija está que echa bala — she's really fuming about her daughter's marriage
- no le toques ese asunto, se pone que echa bala — don't touch on that subject or he'll fly off the handle
- llevar bala — to be in a hurry
- ni a bala
- ni a bala van a lograr que retire lo dicho — there's no way they're going to make me take back what I said
- la física no le entra ni a bala — he's absolutely useless at physics
- no paga una cuenta ni a bala — he doesn't believe in paying his bills
- no entrarle balas a algo/algn
- tiene 70 años y no le entran balas — he's 70 years old and as fit as a fiddle / as tough as old boots / as strong as an ox
- a este motor no le entran balas — this engine will stand up to anything
- ser como bala(Chile) / (Mexico) una bala para algo
- es como bala para las matemáticas — she's a real mathematical genius
- es una bala para el dominó — he's a tremendous domino player
- ese es como bala para el trago — he's got (his) drinking down to a fine art
- ser un(a) bala perdida / (Mexico) rasa — to be a good-for-nothing / an idle layabout
- tirar con bala — to get straight to the point
- —aquí tiran con bala —pensé — there's no beating about the bush / they get straight to the point here, I thought
2Latin AmericaSportshotlanzamiento de bala — shot put
3(de lana, algodón)bale
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.