In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(silencioso)quietestuvo callado durante toda la reunión — he didn't say a thing / he kept quiet throughout the whole meeting
- siéntate aquí y estáte calladito — sit here and keep quiet
- lo escucharon callados y atentos — they listened to him quietly and attentively
- para callado — in secret
- que sea para callado — keep it quiet
- tenerse algo callado or calladito — to keep sth quiet
- ¡qué calladito te lo tenías! — you kept it very quiet!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.