In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(puesto)position formalpostdesempeña un cargo importante en la empresa — he has / holds an important position in the firm
- tiene un cargo de mucha responsabilidad — she has a very responsible job / post / position
- hoy toma posesión de su cargo — he takes up his post / position today
2.1a cargo de algn
- los niños están a mi cargo — the children are in my care
- un concierto a cargo de la Orquesta Nacional — a concert performed by the National Orchestra
- el negocio quedó a su cargo — he was left in charge of the business
- dejé/puse las ventas a cargo de Luque — I left/put Luque in charge of sales
- tiene cuatro hijos a su cargo or (Colombia) a cargo — he has four children to support
- tiene a su cargo la división comercial — she is responsible for / in charge of the sales department
2.2al cargo de algo — in charge of sth
- quedó/lo pusieron al cargo del departamento — he was left/they put him in charge of the department
2.3correr a cargo de algn
- los gastos corren a cargo de la empresa — expenses will be paid / met by the company
- la organización del concierto corre a cargo de su ayudante — her assistant is responsible for organizing the concert
- el papel principal corre a cargo de Fernando Arias — the main part / the leading role is played by Fernando Arias
2.4hacerse cargo de algo — (entender) to be aware of sth Spain
- ¿podría hacerse cargo de nuestra sucursal en Panamá? — could you take charge of / head our branch in Panama?
- mi abuela se hizo cargo de mí — my grandmother took care of me
- me hago cargo de la gravedad de la situación — I am aware of the gravity of the situation
- es un problema difícil — sí, me hago cargo — it's a difficult problem — yes, I realize that / I am aware of that
3Businesschargesin cargo adicional — at no additional cost
- sin cargo — free of charge
- pidió unos cheques de viaje con cargo a su cuenta — she ordered some traveler's checks to be debited against / charged to her account
4Lawchargeniega todos los cargos que se le imputan — he denies all the charges against him
5Chile, Perucertificate or stamp showing date and time a document is submitted
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.