In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(puerta/ventana) closed(puerta/ventana) shut(boca/ojos) closed(boca/ojos) shut(mejillones/almejas) closedla puerta estaba cerrada con llave — the door was locked
- tenía los ojos cerrados — she had her eyes closed / shut
- el frasco no está bien cerrado — the top (or lid etc.) isn't on properly
- un sobre cerrado — a sealed envelope
- las cortinas estaban cerradas — the curtains were drawn / closed
- normalmente tenemos la mesa cerrada — we usually keep the table closed/down
1.2(válvula) closed(válvula) shut offlos grifos están cerrados — the taps are turned off
2(museo/tienda/restaurante) closed(restaurante/tienda/museo) shut[ S ] cerrado — closed
- [ S ] cerrado por defunción/reformas — closed owing to bereavement/for alterations
3.1(confinado, limitado)(espacio/recinto) enclosed
3.3un círculo de amigos muy cerrado — a very closed circle of friends
- un club de ambiente cerrado y snob — a club with a very exclusive and snobbish atmosphere
3.4Mathematics(conjunto/serie) closed→ circuito
4.1Linguistics(vocal) close(vocal) closed
4.2Linguistics(acento/dialecto) broadtiene un acento andaluz cerrado — he has a broad / thick Andalusian accent
6.2(referiéndose a la noche)ya era noche cerrada cuando salimos — when we left it was already completely dark
8(enérgico)lo recibieron con una cerrada ovación — he was given an ecstatic reception
- mantienen una cerrada pugna por el título — they are engaged in a fierce fight for the title
9.1(poco receptivo, intransigente)son muy cerrados y no se adaptan a estas novedades — they're very set in their ways and they won't adapt to these new ideas
- no lo vas a convencer, es muy cerrado — you'll never persuade him, he's very stubborn / he's very set in his ways
- estar cerrado a algo
- está cerrado a todo lo que signifique cambiar — his mind is closed to / he's against anything that involves change
- el país ha estado cerrado durante años a todo tipo de influencias externas — the country has, for years, been shut off from all outside influence
9.3informal (torpe)dense informalthick informales muy cerrado de mollera — he's as thick as two short planks British informal
10SpainFinance[ S ] apartamentos de lujo, precio cerrado — luxury apartments, price guaranteed
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.