In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Mexico vulgar slang(copular)to screw vulgar slangto fuck vulgar slang
2Mexico vulgar slang(molestar)no le hagas caso te lo dijo para chingar nada más — don't take any notice of him, he only said it to annoy you
- ¡deja de chingar! — get off my back!
- me caso mañana — ¡no (me) chingues! — I'm getting married tomorrow — you're kidding!
3River Plate informal+ me/te/le etc la pollera te chinga de atrás — your skirt doesn't hang straight at the back
1Latin America(en sentido sexual)to fuck vulgar slangto screw vulgar slang→ madre
2Mexico(jorobar)to screw vulgar slangsi no lo haces te van a chingar — if you don't do it, they'll screw you vulgar slang
- ese no más se pasa chingando a todo el mundo — that guy spends his life screwing people / shitting on people
- ¡no la chingues! ya cerraron el banco — shit! the bank's already closed!
- no sabés cómo la chingué — I really put my foot in it
1Latin America vulgar slang(en sentido sexual, enfático)to fuck vulgar slangto screw vulgar slang
2Mexico vulgar slang(jorobarse)creyó que le darían el premio pero se chingó — he thought he'd be given the prize but he got a shock / he was disappointed
- se chingó el motor — the engine's had it
- encendió el cohete pero se chingó — he lit the rocket but it didn't go off / it fizzled and went out
3Mexico vulgar slang(aguantarse)si no te gusta, te chingas — if you don't like it, that's tough informal
- no quisiste hacerme caso, ahora te chingas — you wouldn't listen, so tough shit!
4.1Mexico vulgar slang (castigar)to give … a hard time
4.2Mexico vulgar slang (robar)to rip … off informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.