In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1fivenoventa y cinco — ninety-five
- quinientos cinco — five hundred and five
- la fila cinco — row five
- vinieron los cinco — the five of them came
- nos invitó a los cinco — he invited the five of us
- somos cinco — there are five of us
- en grupos de (a) cinco — in groups of five
- iban entrando de cinco en cinco — they went in five at a time
- la habitación es de cinco por ocho — the room is five by eight
- me costó cinco libras y pico — I paid five pounds something for it
- es el número cinco en la lista — he's fifth on the list
- son las cinco de la mañana/tarde — it's five (o'clock) in the morning/afternoon
- las dos menos cinco /cinco para las dos — five to two
- las ocho y cinco — five past eight
- llegó a (las) y cinco — she arrived at five past
- serían las cinco y pico — it must have been just after five (o'clock)
- son las cinco pasadas — it's just after five
- hoy estamos a / hoy es cinco — today is the fifth
- el día cinco es su cumpleaños — her birthday is on the fifth
- calzo el cinco — I take (a) size five
- vive en el número cinco — he lives at number five
- en el siglo cinco — in the fifth century
- ni cinco
- no tengo ni cinco — I'm broke
- no sabe/entendió ni cinco — he doesn't know/he didn't understand a thing
- venga/choca esos cinco — give me five!
1(número)fiveme tocó el cinco — I got number five
- aprieta el cinco — press (number) five
- hace los cincos al revés — he writes his fives backward(s)
- el cinco de corazones — the five of hearts
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.