In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1beginningal comienzo — in the beginning
- el proceso fue muy lento en sus comienzos — initially, the process was very slow
- dio comienzo al año lectivo — it marked the beginning of the academic year
- dieron comienzo a la función con la tocata — they began the performance with the toccata
- el concierto dará comienzo a las nueve — the concert will begin at 9 o'clock
- los comienzos son siempre difíciles — the first months (or steps etc.) are always difficult
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.