In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(fe)confidenceun médico que me inspira confianza — a doctor who I have faith in / who I trust
- su actitud no despierta confianza — her attitude does not inspire confidence
- lo considero digno de toda confianza — he has my complete trust
- confianza en algn/algo — confidence in sb/sth
- tiene mucha confianza en sí misma — she has plenty of self-confidence
- tengo plena confianza en que todo saldrá bien — I have every confidence / I'm quite confident that it will all turn out well
- había puesto toda mi confianza en él — I had put all my trust / faith in him
- de confianza — trustworthy
- ocupa un puesto de confianza en la compañía — he has a position of trust within the company
- quieren nombrar a alguien de su confianza — they want to appoint someone they can trust
2(amistad, intimidad)tenemos mucha confianza — we know each other very well
- díselo tú, yo no tengo tanta confianza con él — you tell him, I don't know him as well as you do
- no les des tanta confianza a los alumnos — don't let your pupils take liberties with you like that
- nada de ceremonias, estamos en confianza — there's no need to stand on ceremony, things are pretty informal here
- puedes hablar con franqueza, estamos en confianza — you can speak your mind, you're among friends
- unas copas nos hicieron entrar en confianza — a few drinks helped us relax / set us all at our ease
- es muy tímida y le cuesta entrar en confianza con la gente — she is very shy and it takes her a while to open up with / feel confident with / feel at home with people
- te lo digo en confianza, pero no lo repitas — I'm telling you in confidence, don't repeat it
- hablando en confianza, olía muy mal — between you and me, it smelt awful
- puedes venir como estás, ellos son de confianza — you can come as you are, they're people we know well / they're good friends
3confianzas feminine plural(libertades)no le des tantas confianzas — don't let him be so familiar with you
- ¿qué confianzas son ésas? — you've got some nerve!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.