In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(pregunta, averiguación)¿te puedo hacer una consulta? — can I ask your advice / ask you something?
- este problema queda pendiente de consulta — this matter is awaiting consultation
- de consulta — reference
(entrevista)consultation¿cuánto cuesta la consulta? — how much does the consultation cost?
- ¿a qué horas pasa / tiene consultas el Dr. Sosa? — what are Dr Sosa's surgery times?
- [ S ] horas de consulta — surgery hours
- el doctor está en consulta con un paciente — the doctor is seeing a patient
- consulta a domicilio — home / house visit
(consultorio)office USpractice USsurgery Britishabrir / instalar una consulta — to open a practice / surgery
3Lawobligatory review of certain sentences by a higher court
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.