In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
feminine plural noun
1(situación grave)crisisel país sufre/está atravesando una grave crisis energética — the country has/is experiencing a serious energy crisis
- la crisis de la vivienda — the housing crisis / shortage
- la economía está en crisis — the economy is in crisis
- crisis de fe — crisis of faith
- su relación está pasando por una etapa de crisis — their relationship is going through a crisis
- la situación hizo crisis — the situation reached crisis point / a crisis level
2Medicinecrisisla enfermedad hizo crisis al día siguiente — the illness became critical the next day
3also crisis de Gobierno(remodelación ministerial)cabinet reshuffle
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.