In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1fingertoecontaba con los dedos — he was counting on his fingers
- se podían contar con los dedos — they could be counted on (the fingers of) one hand
- señaló con el dedo lo que quería — he pointed to what he wanted
- es de mala educación señalar con el dedo — it's rude to point
- a dedo
- fuimos a dedo hasta la frontera — we hitchhiked to the border
- recorrió Europa a dedo — she hitchhiked around Europe
- su tío lo colocó a dedo — he got a job thanks to some string-pulling by his uncle
- le concedieron la subvención a dedo — he was awarded the subsidy without following prodedure
- chuparse el dedo — to suck one's thumb
- ¿tú qué crees? ¿que me chupo el dedo? — do you think I was born yesterday?
- estar para chuparse los dedos — to be delicious
- hacer / (Colombia) echar dedo(informal) — to hitchhike
- había dos chicas haciendo dedo — there were two girls trying to hitch a ride
- mover / levantar un dedo
- es incapaz de mover un dedo para ayudarme — he never lifts a finger to help me
- no quitar el dedo del renglón — to insist
- pillarse los dedos — (en un negocio) to get one's fingers burned
- poner el dedo en el renglón — to put one's finger on the spot
- poner el dedo en la llaga — to hit a raw nerve
- ponerle el dedo a algn — (culpar) to point the finger at sb
- señalar a algn con el dedo — to point at sb
2(como medida)hay que subirle dos dedos al dobladillo — the hem needs taking up about an inch
- para mí solo un dedo de whisky — just a drop of whiskey for me
- estuvo a dos dedos de perder el trabajo — he came very close to losing his job
- dos dedos de frente
- no tiene dos dedos de frente — he hasn't an ounce of common sense
- cualquiera con dos dedos de frente lo habría entendido — anybody with half a brain / with any common sense would have understood it
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.