In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1no sabían lo que les depararía el nuevo año — they did not know what the new year held for them / would bring them
- ¿qué nos deparará el destino? — what does fate have in store for us?
- el anuncio no deparó sorpresas — the announcement contained no surprises
- ese viaje me deparó la oportunidad de conocerlo — that trip provided me with / gave me the opportunity to meet him
- a mí me ha sido deparado revelar este misterio — it has fallen to me to explain this mystery
- las ventas de lanares depararon cotizaciones récord — the sheep sales produced record prices
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.