In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1fasttienes que trabajar más deprisa — you must work faster
- ¡deprisa! escóndelo — quick! hide it
- deprisa y corriendo — in a rush
- todo lo hace deprisa y corriendo — she does everything in a rush
- tomó la decisión deprisa y corriendo — he made a hasty decision
- hizo los deberes deprisa y corriendo para irse a jugar — he rushed through his homework so he could go out and play
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.