In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(felicidad/éxito/suerte) to wishllamó para desearme suerte — he called to wish me good luck
- te deseo un feliz viaje — I hope you have a good trip
- te deseamos mucha felicidad — we wish you every happiness
2(querer)no se puede desear un novio mejor — you couldn't wish for a better boyfriend
- un embarazo no deseado — an unwanted pregnancy
- por fin podrá disfrutar de esas tan deseadas vacaciones — at last you can really enjoy those long-awaited holidays
- lo que más deseo es volver a ver a mi hijo — my greatest wish is to see my son again
- esa moto que tanto había deseado — that motorcycle he had wanted so much / he had so longed for
- ¿qué desea? — can I help you?
- ¿desea el señor algo más? — would you like anything else, sir?
- se lo podemos enviar si así lo desea — we can send it to you if you (so) wish
- desearía una contestación antes del lunes — I would like a reply before Monday
- el director desea verlo en su despacho — the director would like to see you in his office
- ¿desea la señora ver otro modelo? — would you like me to show you another style, madam?
- desearía expresar mi satisfacción — I should like to express my satisfaction
- está deseando verte — he's really looking forward to seeing you
- no deseamos que la situación llegue a tal extremo — we would not wish the situation to reach that point
- ¿desea el señor que se lo envuelva? — would you like me to wrap it for you, sir?
- desearía que me diera su respuesta esta semana — I would like to have your reply this week
- estoy deseando que llegue el verano — I can't wait for / I'm longing for summer
- estaba deseando que le dijeran que no — I was really hoping they'd say no to him
- sería de desear que nos avisaran con dos semanas de antelación — ideally we would like two weeks' notice
- dejar mucho que desear — to leave a lot to be desired
- su rendimiento deja mucho que desear — his performance leaves a lot to be desired
- vérselas y deseárselas — to have a hard time (of it)
3(persona) to desire(persona) to wantno desearás a la mujer del prójimo — thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.