In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1el río Mira desemboca en el Pacífico — the Mira River flows into the Pacific
- desemboca en el Paseo del Prado — it comes out onto the Paseo del Prado
- la manifestación desembocó en la plaza — the demonstrators came out into the square
- seguimos a la gente y desembocamos en el Ayuntamiento — we followed the crowds and came out in front of / at the town hall
2desembocar en algo — to culminate in sth
- desembocó en una grave crisis — it culminated in / ended up being a serious crisis
- puede desembocar en el cierre de numerosas fábricas — it could result in the closure of numerous factories
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.