In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1Theatreto playdesempeñó el papel de Electra — she played the part of Electra
1.2la función que desempeñan los pulmones — the function of the lungs
- en ausencia del jefe tuvo que desempeñar sus funciones — she had to carry out the boss's duties while he was away
- desempeña un cargo de mucha responsabilidad — she holds / has a very responsible position
- no tiene la experiencia necesaria para desempeñar el cargo — he doesn't have the necessary experience for the post
- desempeñó a la perfección el papel de anfitrión — he was the perfect host
- desempeñó su cometido con mucho acierto — she discharged her duties admirably
- desempeñó un papel muy importante en las negociaciones — he played a very important role in the negotiations
- ha desempeñado las más diversas actividades — he has engaged in a very wide range of activities
2(joyas/reloj) to redeem
1(desenvolverse)dale una oportunidad y veremos cómo se desempeña — give him a chance and let's see how he makes out
- se desempeñó muy bien — she did / managed very well
2(trabajar)desempeñarse como algo — to serve / act as sth
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.