In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(redada/maniobra) to carry out(maniobra/redada) to execute formalla policía efectuó unos disparos al aire — the police fired shots into the air
- el pago se debe efectuar hoy — payment must be made today
- el tren efectuará su salida a las 10.50 — the train will depart at 10:50
- los participantes efectuarán un recorrido de 10 kilómetros — competitors will cover a distance of 10 kilometers
- podrán efectuar el trayecto en menos de media hora — they will be able to make the journey in less than half an hour
- los arreglos se efectuarán en el plazo de una semana — the repairs will be effected within a week
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.