In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(modelo de conducta)examplesu valor debería servirnos de / como ejemplo — his bravery should serve as / should be an example to us
- debes tomar a tu padre como ejemplo — you should follow your father's example
- tienes que dar (el) ejemplo — you have to set an example
- predicar con el ejemplo — to set a good example
2(caso ilustrativo)example¿me puedes dar algún ejemplo? — can you give me an example?
- otro ejemplo de su falta de principios — another example of his lack of principles
- pongamos por ejemplo el caso de Elena — let's take Elena's case as an example
3por ejemplo — for example
- supongamos, por ejemplo, que te quedas sin dinero — let's suppose, for example, that you run out of money
- has cometido muchos errores — ¿por ejemplo? — you've made a lot of mistakes — give me an example
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.