In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(escoger)to chooseme dieron a elegir — I was given a / the choice
- tres postres a elegir — choice of three desserts
- tener mucho de donde elegir — to be spoilt for choice
- no nos dieron la posibilidad de elegir — we weren't given any choice / option
- elegí el más caro — I went for the most expensive one
- eligió dos asignaturas muy difíciles — he opted to do / he chose two very difficult subjects
2(por votación)to elect
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.