In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pasa horas encerrado en su habitación — he spends hours shut away / shut up in his room
- se quedó encerrado en el cuarto de baño — he got locked in the bathroom
- no pienso quedarme encerrada en casa todo el día — I don't intend to stay shut up in / stuck inside the house all day
- los estudiantes siguen encerrados en la universidad — the students are still occupying the university
- el alfil está encerrado — the bishop is trapped
- el cuarto olía a encerrado — the room was stuffy
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.