In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1school Universityexamexamination formaltest USexamen oral/escrito — oral/written exam
- hacer / dar un examen — to take an exam
- rendir examen — to sit an exam
- aprobar / pasar / salvar un examen — to pass an exam / a test
- nos puso un examen muy difícil — he set us a very difficult exam
- no se presentó al examen — she did not take the exam
2(análisis, reconocimiento)efectuaron un detallado examen del área — they carried out a detailed search of the area
- realizaron un minucioso examen de la situación — they carried out an in-depth study of the situation
- someter algo a examen — to examine sth
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.