In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- La garrotera que nos preocupa se pacta a once asaltos.
- No haga fuerzas desmedidas o le dará la garrotera.
- No haga deportes muy violentos o le dará la garrotera.
- El Nestor se gastó 2 millones de dolares y le dio la garrotera ....!
- Esta “garrotera” es producida por el miedo y el hambre.
- En vez, les vino la garrotera, feroz indigestión del saber.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.