In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Zoologytype of anaconda
- Iba a tomarla, pero ya cerca noté que se trataba de una lampalagua.
- De geografías que se desplazan como la lampalagua.
- Está la lampalagua que es una víbora que se come los chivitos.
- Piel de barro, fabulosa lampalagua, me devora la pasión de navegar.
- La gente suele llamarla pichón de lampalagua, pero es otra especie.
2Mythologysnake said to drink rivers dry
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.