In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(de la madre, de una vaca)milkleche materna — mother's milk
- leche de vaca/cabra — cow's/goat's milk
- la leche se ha cortado — the milk has gone off
- más blanco que la leche — as white as a sheet
- ¡me cago en la leche! — (expresando sorpresa) son of a bitch!
- oler a leche — to be wet behind the ears
- ser una leche hervida — to have a very short fuse
3vulgar slang(semen)cum vulgar slangspunk British vulgar slang
4.1Spain slang (golpe)nos vamos a dar una leche — we're going to crash
- se liaron a leches — they beat the hell out of each other
- te voy a dar una leche — I'm going to thump you
4.2Spain slang (velocidad)iba a toda leche — I was going flat out informal
4.3Spain slang¡la leche! — good grief! informal
4.4Spain slangde la leche
- hace un frío de la leche — it's bloody freezing
- estoy harta de ese pesado de la leche — I'm fed up with that boring old fart
4.5Spain slang (colmo)ese tío es la leche — that guy is the pits / the end informal
- se han vuelto a equivocar, son la leche — they've got it wrong again, they're bloody useless
5.1Spain vulgar slang (mal humor)tiene una leche … — he's so bad-tempered
5.2Spain vulgar slang (expresando fastidio, mal humor)¿qué leches pintas tú en este asunto? — what the hell has this got to do with you? informal
- pídele que te lo devuelva ¡qué leches! — ask her to damn well give it back to you
- no seas pesado, leche — don't be so bloody annoying
6Andes informal(suerte)luckganó a la lotería ¡qué leche tiene! — she won the draw, what a lucky devil! informal
- estar con / de leche — to be lucky
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.