In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1thousandmil quinientos pesos — fifteen hundred pesos
- un billete de mil — a thousand peso/euro bill
- 20 mil millones de euros — 20 thousand million euros
- el año mil — the year one thousand
- Las mil y una noches — the Arabian Nights
- se lo he dicho una y mil veces — I've told him a thousand times
- tengo mil cosas que hacer — I have a thousand and one things to do
- a las mil quinientas / a las mil y una — very late
- estar/ponerse a mil — (furioso) to be/get hopping mad
1(number) one thousandel dos por mil de la población — two per thousand of the population
- se lo he dicho miles de veces — I've told him hundreds / thousands of times
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.