In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(regla)ruleregulationnormas de conducta — rules of conduct
- normas sociales — social norms
- observar las normas de seguridad — to observe the safety regulations
- las normas vigentes — the regulations currently in force
- dictar normas — to lay down rules / regulations
- tengo por norma no beber al mediodía — I make it a rule not to drink at lunchtime
2(manera común de hacer algo)es norma que / la norma es que acudan a este tipo de reunión los directivos de la empresa — it is standard practice for the directors of the company to attend this kind of meeting
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.