In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(decidirse)optar por algo — to opt for sth
- optó por el premio en metálico — he opted for / chose the cash prize
- optar por + inf — to choose / opt to + inf
- optó por callarse — she chose / opted to keep quiet
2optar a algo — to apply for sth
- solo los licenciados en Medicina pueden optar a esta plaza — only medical graduates may apply for / are eligible for this post
- un atleta que puede optar a una medalla — an athlete with a chance of winning a medal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.