In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(intención)tiene el firme propósito de dejar de fumar — she's determined / resolved to give up smoking
- mi propósito era salir mañana, pero tuve que aplazar el viaje — my intention was to leave tomorrow, but I had to postpone the trip
- se ha hecho el propósito de correr una hora diaria — she's made up her mind / she's resolved / she's decided to go running for an hour every day
- buenos propósitos — good intentions
- se hizo con el único propósito de proteger a estas especies — it was done with the sole aim / purpose of protecting these species
- con el propósito de comprarse un coche, se puso a ahorrar — he started to save up in order to buy himself a car / with the intention of buying himself a car
- vagaba por el pueblo sin propósito alguno — he wandered aimlessly around the village
- lo hizo con el propósito de molestarme — she did it just to annoy me
- se fue con el firme propósito de volver al año siguiente — he left with the firm intention of returning the following year
- no lo hice a propósito — I didn't do it deliberately / on purpose
- se hizo un vestido a propósito para la ocasión — she had a dress made specially for the occasion
- me encontré con Carlos Ruiz. A propósito, te manda saludos — I bumped into Carlos Ruiz, who sends you his regards, by the way
- me costó $100 — a propósito, recuerda que me debes $50 — I paid $100 for it — which reminds me / speaking of which, don't forget you owe me $50
- a propósito de trenes ¿cuándo te vas? — speaking of trains / on the subject of trains, when are you leaving?
- ¿a propósito de qué viene eso? — a propósito de nada, era solo un comentario — what did you say that for / why did you say that? — for no particular reason, it was just a comment
- hice un comentario a propósito de sus amigos — I made a comment about his friends
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.