In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1derogatory(prostituta)prostitutewhore derogatory informalhooker informalir de putas — to go whoring informal
- hijo (de) puta — bastard
- hace un frío de la gran puta — it's goddamn cold!
- venía de un humor de la gran puta — he was in a foul mood
- por lo que las putas pudiese — just in case
2(uso expletivo)¡la puta! — bloody hell! British slang
- mira que son lentos ¡la puta! — they're so damned slow!
- nos/les fue como las putas — we/they had a really lousy time
- nos/les fue de putas — we/they had an amazing time
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.