In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(dar resultado)to workinténtalo, tal vez resulte — give it a go, it might work
- su idea no resultó — his idea didn't work (out)
- traté de convencerlo pero no resultó — I tried to persuade him but it didn't work / but it was no good
- + me/te/le etc no creo que te resulte — I don't think it will work
2.1resultar + adj
- leérselo todo en un día resulta muy pesado — it is very boring to have to read it all in one day
- comprándolo al por mayor resulta más barato — it works out cheaper if you buy it wholesale
- la casa resultó más cara de lo que pensábamos — the house proved / turned out to be more expensive than we had thought
- en el accidente resultaron muertas/heridas dos personas — two people were killed/injured in the accident
- resultó tal como lo habíamos planeado — it turned out / worked out just as we had planned
- + me/te/le etc ese chico me resulta simpático — I think that boy's very nice
- la película me resultó aburridísima — I found the movie extremely boring
- la casa nos resulta demasiado grande ahora que los niños no están — the house is too big for us now the children have left home
2.2resultar + inf
- todo el problema resultó ser un malentendido — the whole thing turned out to be / proved to be a misunderstanding
- al final resultó ser cierto — in the end it turned out to be true
- resultó tener una hermana en la misma escuela — he turned out to have a sister at the same school
3ahora resulta que tengo yo la culpa — so now it's my fault
- fui a la tienda y resulta que estaba cerrada — I went to the shop but it was closed
- y resulta que la llamo y se había olvidado — and so I called her, and (it turned out) she'd forgotten all about it
4(derivar)resultar en algo — to lead to sth
- un incidente que resultó en una crisis internacional — an incident which led to / resulted in an international crisis
- resultar de algo — to be the result of sth
- no sé lo que va a resultar de todo esto — I don't know what the result / outcome of all this will be
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.