In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1breaking-offbreachbreakingel incidente provocó la ruptura de las relaciones diplomáticas — the incident led to diplomatic relations being broken off
- esa fue la causa de la ruptura de las negociaciones — that was what caused the negotiations to be broken off
- una ruptura entre ambas empresas — a break between the two companies
- la ruptura del contrato traería consecuencias muy graves — breaking the contract would have very serious consequences
- su ruptura con Ernesto — her breakup with Ernesto
- tras la ruptura de su matrimonio — after the breakup of his marriage
- esta ruptura con el pasado — this break with the past
(en tenis)service breakbreak of serve
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.