In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(poco sonriente)seriouscon pinta de intelectual, seriecito y callado — with an intellectual, rather serious / solemn and quiet air
- qué cara más seria ¿qué te ha pasado? — what a long face, what's the matter?
- al oír la noticia se puso muy serio — his expression became very serious / grave when he heard the news
- qué serio estás hoy ¿estás preocupado? — you're looking very serious today, are you worried about something?
- como no obedezcas voy a tener que ponerme serio contigo — if you don't do as I say I'm going to get annoyed with you
2(sensato, responsable)un empleado serio y trabajador — a responsible / reliable, hardworking employee
- no es serio que nos digan una cosa y luego hagan otra — it's no way to treat people (or to conduct business etc.) saying one thing and then doing another
- no confío en él, es muy poco serio — I don't trust him, he is very unreliable
- son todos profesionales muy serios — they are all dedicated professionals
3.1(no frívolo, importante)seriousha hecho cine serio y también comedias tontas y frívolas — he's made serious movies as well as silly, lighthearted comedies
- es un serio aspirante al título — he's a serious contender for the title
3.2en serio — seriously
- bueno, vamos a ponernos a trabajar en serio — right (then), let's get down to some serious work
- ¿lo dices en serio? — are you (being) serious? / seriously? / do you really mean it?
- se toma muy en serio su carrera — she takes her career very seriously
- esto va en serio, está muriéndose — this is serious, he's dying
- y esto va en serio — and I really mean it / and I'm serious about this
- no se toma nada en serio — he doesn't take anything seriously
- mira que te lo digo en serio — I mean it, you know
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.