In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1withoutlo tomo con leche y sin azúcar — I take milk but no sugar
- reserva garantizada sin recargo — guaranteed reservation at no extra cost
- seguimos sin noticias — we still haven't had any news
- solicite más información sin compromiso — send for more details without obligation
- sin previo aviso — without (prior) warning
- ¡tírate! ¡sin miedo! — jump! don't be scared!
- ¿qué harías tú sin mí? — what would you do without me?
- agua mineral sin gas — still mineral water
- cerveza sin alcohol — alcohol-free beer
- una pareja sin hijos — a couple with no children
- un vuelo sin escalas — a direct flight
- me quedé sin pan — I ran out of bread
- se quedó sin trabajo — she lost her job
- una persona totalmente sin escrúpulos — a completely unscrupulous person
2.1sin + inf — without -ing
- se fue sin pagar — she left without paying
- lo mandaron a la cama sin cenar — they sent him to bed without any dinner
- somos diez sin contarlos a ellos — there are ten of us not counting them
- estuvo una semana entera sin hablarme — she didn't speak to me for a whole week
- sigo sin entender — I still don't understand
- la pisé sin querer — I accidentally trod on her foot
2.2sin + inf — without -ing
- una camisa sin planchar — an unironed shirt
- esto está aún sin terminar — this still isn't finished
3sin que + subj → embargo
- los días pasan sin que dé señales de vida — the days go by and there is still no word from him
- no voy a ir sin que me inviten — I'm not going if I haven't been invited
- quítaselo sin que se dé cuenta — get it off him without his / without him noticing
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.