In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(calma)peacela tranquilidad del campo — the peace / tranquility of the countryside
- no he tenido ni un minuto de tranquilidad en toda la semana — I haven't had a moment's peace all week
- llamemos a la estación para mayor tranquilidad — let's call the station just to be on the safe side / to make absolutely sure
- necesita paz y tranquilidad — she needs some peace and quiet
- para poder trabajar con tranquilidad — to be able to work in peace
- léelo con tranquilidad — read it at your leisure / in your own time
- respondió con tranquilidad — she replied calmly
2(falta de preocupación)llámame a la hora que sea, con toda tranquilidad — feel free to call me at any time
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.