In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1vacation USholiday Britishvacaciones de verano/Navidad/Semana Santa — summer/Christmas/Easter vacation / holidays
- vacaciones pagadas / retribuidas — paid vacations / holidays
- vacaciones escolares — school vacation(s) / holidays
- vacaciones temáticas — theme vacations / holidays
- irse / marcharse de vacaciones — to go away on vacation / on holiday / on one's holidays
- nos vamos de vacaciones a la playa — we're off to the seaside on holiday
- estamos de vacaciones — we're on vacation / holiday
- voy a tomarme unas vacaciones en agosto — I'm going to take a vacation / holiday in August
- este año no tengo vacaciones — I don't get any vacation / holiday this year
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.